Projects Kurilpa Futures is directly involved in.
Please Note: Each of these projects is part of the over-arching strategy, the Green Space Strategy, that has been prepared by professional landscape architects in collaboration with local community associations over many years. The strategy aims to provide 11 hectares of additional green space to the inner city suburbs of West End, South Brisbane and Highgate Hill. The residential population of these suburbs is expected to grow by 25,000 people by 2035 (from 2011). In October 2016 the Strategy took out the national award for communities from the Australian Institute of Landscape Architects.
- Sussex Street Parklets
- 16th September, 2016 – Greening West End on Park(ing) Day, in Sussex St, with residents of Tangara retirement village together with Alvin Kirby and Michelle Kirby-Brown, co-creators of the Green Space Strategy for 4101, and Kurilpa Futures.
- Sussex Street Greening West received a Highly Commended award for this work. Well done to all who participated and made it such a great day.
- Biodiversity and Waterways
- This project will explore and develop models for gully rejuvenation and establishment of wildlife corridors
- West End Biodiversity: Draft September 2016
- Greening Hardgrave Road
- This project proposes working with the West End State School community to create rest stop niches, footpath and vegetation improvements on Hardgrave Road, between Vulture and Jane Street.
- 7th September, 2017 – Working Bee – As a result of ongoing collaboration between the Environmental Club at WESS, John Mongard and Todd Gallagher (John Mongard Landscape Architects and the Greenspace Strategy for 4101) and members of Kurilpa Futures, and sponsored by Turrisi Properties, the first stage of this project was successfully completed in a Working Bee on the 3rd September. You can check out some photos from the event here. Additions to the project are planned as part of the building extensions to the school.
1st August, 2016 – Green Space Strategy for 4101 – Presentation and Workshop – 17th July
||Guest Speaker: John Mongard, local landscape architect, explores ways to activate the Green Space Strategy for 4101.|
18th June, 2016 – New Park for Thomas St ,West End – As part of the Green Space Strategy for the Kurilpa Peninsular, proposed by John Mongard and his team, this design for the new park on the corner of Thomas and Vulture St has been put forward after consultation with the local community and with the aid of WECA.